- Swap your standard light bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs to save energy. If everyone in the US did this – enough energy would be saved to light 3 millions homes every year.
- Adjusting your thermostat accordingly over the year can help you save energy and money. Decreasing it by 1 degree in the winter alone will save you 5% on energy consumption.
- If you are lucky enough to live where you work, try biking or walking to work as opposed to taking the car. Or if that isn’t an option – try the bus instead to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- By going veggie, you could save a substantial amount of water. Did you know it takes approximately 2500 gallons if water to produce one pound of beef?
- To save water at bath times you could shower with a friend. A full bath tub uses around 70 gallons of water but a quick 5 – 10 minute shower only uses around 20.
- Fix the leaky sink and toilet! A leaky toilet could waste around 200 gallons of water every day.
- Get yourself a worm farm to reduce your food waste and make your very own nutritious compost for your garden and plants.
- Grab a few Bags for Life and reuse them every time you go shopping. A staggering 1 trillion plastic bags are discarded every year.
- Recycle old electronics as this is now one of the fastest growing waste product!